If there were a survey that asked “Where/how do you acquire your books? (mark all that apply)”, my response would look something like this:
- Traditional bookstores
- Used bookstores
- Thrift shops
- Other stores, e.g. supermarkets, home and garden centers, office supply stores
- Yard sales
- Library book sales
- Borrow from library
- Borrow from friends
- Gifts from friends
- From the author (at book signings/readings)
- Books laying around on bus benches or in coffee houses (some of these may be from Book Crossing or other similar endeavors)
- Little Free Library (and if you don’t know about these yet, please visit the site)
- the free table (I’ll talk about this in a future post).
If you are a reader (and you know who you are), you have a similar (long) list.
And for one more new idea for getting books to the people, check out the “pop-up”, open air reading rooms provided by The Uni Project.
Books are everywhere. Life is good.